In 2017, InkHouse crossed the 10-year mark. When I started InkHouse, I knew exactly what I wanted the agency to be – and not to be – for our clients and for our employees.
For the first few years, it was easy to communicate and share our values. But now, as we cross the 100 employee mark with offices on both coasts, it has become important to put to words, and methodical action, what we value as an agency. We rolled out the InkHouse values and continually try to use them as the foundation for how we work. And this year, to coincide with our 10-year milestone, we added a 10th value to the list:
1. We have one foot in the future. Just because something worked last year, or last week, or even yesterday, does not mean it will today. We seek what will work tomorrow.
2. We are accountable. We meet our deadlines, exceed our goals, and own our mistakes.
3. We are kind. We work together, support one another, and selflessly celebrate each other’s successes.
4. We are not order takers. We question what will work. We examine what we’re trying to achieve and look for the best ways to get there.
5. We hate to lose. We are brave enough to risk failure to win.
6. We go to YES. We look for what is possible—not what isn’t—for our clients and in our co-workers.
7. We use good judgment. When there is no black and white answer, we use our experience, integrity and brains to make the best call.
8. We don’t confuse process and progress. We are dogged, but we understand the important difference between hard work and great results. They are not the same thing.
9. We are team first. We listen openly to ideas that differ from our own. We dig in when others need help. We praise often and openly. We criticize kindly and privately.
10. We generate the best ideas through diversity. It requires diversity of thought, gender, race and political views to get us to the best ideas.
I love this 10th value and am proud to work with a team that understands exactly why it’s so important; great ideas are great when they stand the test of debate and when they get us to the unexpected place we didn’t know we’d find. I can’t wait to see what we do together in the next 10.
Beth is the CEO of Inkhouse, which she co-founded in 2007 and has grown into one of the top ranked agencies in the country. Beth’s been recognized as one of the Top Women in PR by PR News, the Top 25 Innovators by The Holmes Report and as an Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year finalist. Beth believes that shared values, and the freedom to create are the foundations of all meaningful work. She brings this philosophy to building a culture of creative progress at Inkhouse.